Monday, March 12, 2012

Update on our little girls with the burns

Just a quick update while I can't sleep again.  It's 12:30am here and the dogs are going crazy outside along with the sounds of many other things.  I spoke earlier of two little girls coming with bad burns.  Everyday they have to have their old bandages ripped off, yes literally ripped off of them and we have to cut off their dead skin then scrub the burned area and re-bandage them.  I did not help Llonda with this yesterday, but she waited until after I got done teaching my class so I could help.  We cathed her just before and gave her a bon bon then started what felt like torcher to her.  She cried and cried and said a prayer over and over with her mom "give me the strength to survive and make it through this."  It took every ounce in me to not cry and at one point I may have even shed a tear, and then the mother started praying louder and my translator told me she was now praying for us to give us strength.  She must have seen in my face that to hear her pain was unbearable to me.  It took what felt like hours and before we knew we had many hospital staff coming to watch us.  The German Dr in training came to our place later that night to thank us for allowing him to watch us, as he had learned more in that two hours of us taking care of those two little girls than he had in a week of working in the pediatric unit.  As bad as I had felt about it, I was glad that someone can learn something from it.  It took nearly and hour and half to do the older girl, she has mostly 2nd and 3rd degree burns, and only about a half hour on the 2yr old.  She is mostly burned on the one leg, and even though it is bad, it is not as bad as the other.  
The mother came up to Llonda while we were getting ready to leave to thank her, while we were sure that the two little girls will not like us anymore.  Tonight I prayed for strength all the way around.  

Here is a picture, which doesn't even come close to how much pain she is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment