Friday, March 23, 2012

The end is here



Hello to all,
We are on our travel days again. We had our last couple days in Douala and it has been very hot and humid. Inland the temperatures have been about the same, but the difference is the dry heat inland vs the humidity closer to the Ocean. Still no sun, and it’s hard to take the humidity. It almost takes your breath away. We must have lost several pounds alone by just sweating. Our last day in Douala consisted of some souvenir shopping at the local flower market, which Llonda teased me thinking I was ready to go out on my own as far as bargaining. I was proud of how well I did, but I am still not as good as she is. They all tell her that when she comes back she should change her nationality to Cameroonian because she is so good at it. We made some really good purchases, but there will never be enough money to buy for all of the people we would like to bring things back for and we can never have enough stuff or room to pack it in. In actuality we had plenty of room to pack more, but as most of the stuff is wood, it’s heavy so our bags are all pushing the weight limit once again.
I had to laugh at the end with all of the marriage proposals I received and how many times I heard “But I love you!”. As I tried to explain to them in the little English they could understand that, they don’t even know me, but anyone is looking for a way to get to America. Most people in America don’t understand how wonderful of a Country we have until you spend some time somewhere else, myself included. I can complain about the gas prices, the high electrical bills, and not having my brand of peanut butter in stock. But in the big picture of it all, we all have an opportunity to work no matter what kind of job it may be, a cashier, a cook, to a lawyer or doctor. It’s very hard to imagine all of the people in the US who can get a job, but CHOOSE not to. Where here you have a country where there is virtually no opportunity for them, even if they do go to school. For example one of our interpreters who can speak many languages, is smart and has gone to school and has a certificate for it, and is such a hard worker. Yet, he cannot find a job, and the years and money that he has spent in school do nothing for him. Where in the US you can find a job with no schooling (maybe not a great job, but it IS a job), and with schooling you can find a good paying job. Benefits are unheard of there, and the life expectancy for a male there is 50yrs. Can you imagine having a life expectancy of only 50yrs. It’s sad all the way around and I only wish there was more we could do for them all.
After the flower market, we went back to change and then get something to eat at the Le Glacier Modern. It’s almost like a Dairy Queen. They have burgers, fries and some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had. Our waiter (who we had the other day) helped us get a taxi, and then it was off to the hotel to pack. We had to check out of our room at 7pm, but didn’t want to go the airport too early so sat down at the lounge with all of our luggage and making one final deal with the boys across the street to try to use up the rest of our CFA.
We finally boarded our plane and left at 1am Monday (which was 8pm at home) and rode the long hot smelly ride to Brussels. At Brussels it was rush rush to try to go through security again, and then make our way to the other side of the airport to get checked in. There was hardly enough time to go to the bathroom let alone anything else. Once again, we were nearly the last people to board the flight to Newark NJ. I can hardly wait to get back on American soil. I miss all the familiarities of home. My kids, my bed, my bathroom (mostly being able to actually sit down on a toilet!), my church, and work (yes I miss work even). Basically I miss it all! Most of all I miss being able to have a conversation with someone who I can actually understand
I am grateful for the time I had there, I would very much like to go back someday if the opportunity presents itself, but until then I will continue to pray for my new friends in Cameroon.  

2 comments:

  1. You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.
    Grey Office Furniture in miami

    ReplyDelete