Sunday, March 4, 2012

Our first day in Africa


March 4th,

Woke up this am around 9am! I was completely shocked that we had both slept that long. We took our time getting going and met up with a gal who lives here to give her a bag of stuff sent from her sister who lives in Duluth. Very nice gal, who speaks English well and her niece came after. We had a short visit and she is actually going to help us out by holding some of our extra luggage bags while we are gone to N'gaoundere.

We went across the street to see the one local vender trying to sell some stuff and they are nice guys who seem pushy, but speak good English and I want to believe they are honest men. We walked down the street a little ways and it's amazing to me that garbage is just thrown in the street and ditches and what garbage cans are out in front of stores are being eaten out of by people. Many sleeping on cardboard, or pallets with plastic and their shoes have holes in them, ones that we would have probably thrown out months ago.


Met up with a local Taxi driver who had some air tickets for us and he insisted on taking us around today, which we paid him for, but was nice to have him there. He took us to a local flower market which Llonda has been to several times and likes but it a place where they have a lot of the same stuff, but fun to barter with them. Llonda is a shark at bartering and I am the silent one who stands in the shadows waiting for her to make the deal. Yes surprising to many of you that I am the silent one! But knowing that we were not going to make any purchases yet, since we do not have anymore room in our suitcases to travel to N'gaoundere with I didn't mind. Was nice to get an idea of what they wanted for their stuff. So many beautiful hand crafted items that one can only wish they were that talented to do. The town smells of bad body odor and urine as it's nothing for someone to just urinate on the street or ditch or wherever they want really. And to my understanding they do not want to spend the expense on deodorant as many need the money for food etc. After leaving the market and finding many items that we would love to take back for everyone, our driver took us to a local African restaurant called the White House where it is a buffet. The beer was cold, and the food was plentiful. Not knowing the manners of the culture, we all headed up with a plate and Llonda and I wasted no time digging in. Me being picky of course, but certainly grabbed some items that I had no idea what they were. Our driver only grabbed salad. Not understanding that you went up as a group, and ate as a group and only took salad first. Whoops. It didn't stop us from eating it though. Cous-cous, rice, fish (a whole one), and more mystery meat, with deep fried balls of something that ended up being plantain (this is a fruit here), that I took a few of thinking it was deep fried it had to be good right! All in all it wasn't bad, but very sweet, and it was hard to leave anything on our plates as we are in a starving Country. So I choked most of it down, not wanting to be rude. Our driver refused to go up and get another plate until we all went and I could not bare to get another round, so Llonda went back and we all skipped out on the desert table.

Back to the hotel to pack and repack some more, fit in a nap, and time to blog:)

After getting back to the Ibis we took a nap, which may have been a bad thing as we were both more tired than when we had laid down. Got up and went across the street for some coke, then down to the restaurant for dinner. While outside “checking the weather” we met a local who speaks some English who refers to Llonda as “Big Mama One” and me as “Big Mama 2”. He is really into boxing, and is excited to take us to his club. He gave us his email and phone number and is anticipating us coming back from N'gaoundere so he can pick us up and take us to watch him. He was thoroughly impressed with the fact that even in a knee brace I could kick up to his face and throw him some upper cuts and knock outs. Thanks to my Billy video work out sessions. I very much enjoy talking with the locals no matte how much I can understand them and them understanding me. I had my first experience with an African gal who kissed both my cheeks and befriended me like we had been best friends for years and then asked for a beer. Sadly I could not oblige. It is not by far a cheap trip. But I am grateful for the time here and feel as if I am making some lifeline connections, and only wish I could provide for them the simple needs that they have. Everyone that I have met has truly been a wonderful person!

 A special note to my Re:form students!  You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday, and please behave while I'm gone!  Love you all:)

We love you and miss you all!
Llonda and Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment