Friday, March 9, 2012

March 8, and 9th 2012

March 9th, 2012

I (Steph) haven't written in a couple of days, so starting with yesterday Thursday March 8th, here is how the day began. We decided to skip Chapel this morning and start work at 8am. I went to work in the storeroom right away while Llonda hit the ICU. The storeroom is a dirty place that if filled with medical supplies that are not being utilized. It's frustrating and I don't think the hospital staff even know what their sitting on. So I am trying to take an inventory of all of the supplies there, and their expiration dates. Even though many supplies can be used after the expiration date, there are many that have been expired since 1996. The plan is once we have a complete inventory of whats in stock, we can provide all of the Majors with that list so they can see if there is anything there they can utilitze. The Majors here are equal to the head nurse at home, like a manager. Although they work harder. It is not an easy nor fun job and it seems it is a fight with the store room manager all the way. He does not like me at all and when I show up he comes up with some reason to leave and doesn't come back. There is another man who works there who is new, and does a WONDERFUL job. I wish I could make him the manager. I tell him what to do and with no hesitation or fight he does it and is eager to learn.
It was International Women's Day here on Thursday the 8th. This is a day for of celebration just for women. They had a parade, which they call a March. Many of the hospital staff left to go to the parade, as well as many of the other festivities. We were invited by many to attend and they joked about us wearing our African Gowns in the parade, but we politely declined as there were just a few more things we wanted to finish before calling it a day.
The evening we spent relaxing in the apartment visiting with our neighbors here, a Dr. in training from Germany, the mission station managers father (who was taking care of things while his son was away) and Eric one of our translators. Late that evening about 7:30 we were going to the Dowry of Adda and JB with their families at JB's uncles house. A Dowry is where the Groom to be as well as his family offer goods to the bride and her family. This was between two different tribes here, which is a little harder. When one is marrying into the same tribe they know what to expect and there is less complication. But when two people from different tribes are wanting to marry it is a little harder. There was a room full of about 30-40 people crammed in a little room where JB's family sat on one side while Adda's family sat on the other. We sat on the floor. Eric our interpreter came with also. He translated everything for us which was very helpful. JB's family brought in two suitcases full of stuff. Anywhere from material, shoes, handbags, to dresses, personal care items and kolanuts (a type of nut). Adda's family sat in discussion as they looked in the bags, and said that in their tribe tradition is one suit case is for just the bride and the other includes items for the WHOLE family. These were not separated which upset them as well as their were no gifts for the Uncles. They did not like that, so JB's family went back out side to discuss what they could do. They came back and each family had a stern conversation, (which we could not keep up with) and after an hour they finally asked Adda is she would accept and she agreed. They clapped screamed and YaYa'd then said we need to talk money. We thought it was over and we could finally eat. No such luck. They requested 4.5million CFA. They ended up getting 150,000. Which goes to the brides family, and even the day after family members were still talking about how they were upset. We were just happy it was over and we could eat, but at this point we just wanted to go home and go to bed. I was wishing I was the little girl that fell asleep in my lap.
We ate a little so we would not be considered rude, and I was just happy Eric was with to eat all the stuff on my plate that I wouldn't eat, and then walked home to get ready for another day.

In the morning I couldn't hardly get outta bed. I thought that Jet leg was finally catching up on me, but I pushed myself out and got ready. First thing I went straight to the store room again, while Llonda headed back into the ICU. The guy I left the day before was still hard at work, while the useless manager of the storeroom was sitting playing on the computer. I immediately jumped on him that time was critical and I wanted that typed inventory done. He conveniently found some excuse to leave and we stayed for another 2hrs digging in the dusty boxes and counting everything before I finally got so upset and left on a man hunt. I finally found him playing in a secluded room on his laptop. I had words with the Chief of Supervisors and walked out of his office to have Eric (our interpreter who was with Llonda at the time) yelling at me that I was needed in the ICU stat.

Two little girls came in with bad burns. Their mom was heating up tea and walked away and they dumped it and got it all over their bottoms, legs and feet, part of their arms. Not knowing where the supplies were or anything I did all I could do to clean them up, and dress them. My heart ached as I could just imagine the pain they were having, and not a single way to ease the pain for them. No medications, nothing. Just the sound of my voice trying to comfort them. They are 4yrs and 2 yrs. The older girl at one moment asked me for a bon bon. Bon Bons are candy here. I usually carry a pocket full for the kids, but had not one on me, so after lunch I paid a visit to them with some bon bons. They could barley lift their arms to grab them as they lay their in pain.

I had a CPR class set up for 1pm and was nervous that no one would show. I was relieved when I had a room full and more trickle in. I had made CPR cards for them and laminated them. Then the laminater started on fire. Lovely! One of the things I thought may improve the morale of staff to have their own certificate with more to their title was on fire. So the rest will have a certificate that is NOT laminated, unless by some chance we can find one here.

Today was unbelievably hot. After spending a few hours in another small room teaching CPR and not drinking enough water, I got overheated and at that moment in time I would have paid a million dollars just to go swimming. So that's what I did. There is a pool on the mission station, but it is run by the Norwegian side of the complex. So we have to pay 3000 franks to swim. I didn't care, I knew I needed to cool my body down fast. I swam for only a little bit, and then took another cool shower (which I can't complain about because we have water!), but it was probably one of the first times that after the cool water hit my head it was warmer by the time it hit my back.

The kids have been coming everyday and Llonda jokes as they call us Mama bon bons. We have as many people coming to sell us stuff as we do kids! One little girl today while I was in the kitchen came right in the house. I gave her a bon bon and sent her on her way, but Llonda said I need to not be so nice cause they will all start coming in.

Tonight we had the rehearsal for the wedding at the Catholic church. Hopefully it will go by fast, because as hot as it was in there at 8pm, I can only imagine what it will be like with a church full in the middle of the day!

Hope all is well with everyone at home, “hi” to everyone, and we'll be back soon enough!

 These are some boys pushing one of the Norwegian Mission Managers kids around, with Flat Stanley.
 These two little girls (with among MANY others) walk everyday with their buckets and water bottles filling them up with water from the spigot by our house.  So they stop all the time for bon bon's.  I wish candy weighed less, we would have been able to take much more!
This is where the family members of patients come to cook their food.  3 rocks with wood under neath.  The place is swarming with flies, and everyone is excited to share their food with you.  
 A lizard outside our place.  There are lots of them around here.  My boys would have a blast.  Llonda say's when they get scared their tales fall off and the tale keeps moving around.  I try very careful not to scare them!
Here is a man outside the Hospital who makes beautiful woven grass into walls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment